Single surf ski event
The Single Surf ski event is a race between a single craft (including substitutes) paddled by one paddler for the total distance of the race. The same paddler must paddle for the total distance The winner is the paddler that completes the total race distance in the fastest time, determined by adding up the times of each day, provided that the paddler has adhered to all the rules herein and instructions of the race officials.
Double surf ski event
The Double Surf ski event is a race between a double craft (including substitutes) paddled by two paddlers for the total distance of the race. The same paddlers must paddle for the total distance The winner is the two paddlers that completes the total race distance in the fastest time, determined by adding up the times of each day, provided that the paddlers have adhered to all the rules herein and instructions of the race officials.
The Legends event
The Legends is a category for paddlers who participated in Challenge during Johnny Woods competing years (1972 – 1986).
- It will be a team event consisting of four paddlers.
- The splitting of the second, third and fourth days into two legs will be introduced to allow for shorter duration paddles, should the team members so desire. To be eligible for the John Woods floating trophy however , each team member must complete a minimum of two of the legs. The first day is regarded as satisfying this requirement.
- Those nominated to race each day will need to submit their names to the race director prior to the race briefing each morning. The non nominated members are entitled to paddle one or two legs each day. Their names need to be submitted to the race director prior to the morning briefing each day.
- Participation in a double or single ski will satisfy the eligibility criterion for the John Woods floating trophy.
- The other rules pertinent to this category continue to be relevant for the race.
- The Normal race rules will apply, and each member of the team would still be required to do their qualifying races.
- Any member of the team can start the race and finish all legs.
- Should a team member who is selected for one of the legs not finish their particular leg for any reason the Team will not be eligible for the winning The Johnny Woods Team Trophy.
- Should any team member not make their leg that they are meant to complete for any reason, they will not be allowed to continue with the race.
- Entry per team member R2800.00
The race organizers may recognize the following categories (male and female, single and double): U23, Seniors, Veterans, Masters, Grand Masters, Mixed doubles, The Legends